Learning to Get Along series helps children learn, understand, and practice basic social and emotional skills. Real-life situations, lots of diversity, and concrete examples make these read-aloud books appropriate for home and childcare settings, schools, and special education settings. Each book ends with a section of discussion questions, games, and activities adults can use to reinforce what children have learned.
- When I Feel Afraid – Help children understand their fears and teach them simple coping skills.
- Accept and Value Each Person – Introduce kids to diversity, respecting differences, being inclusive, and appreciating people the way they are.
- Cool Down and Work Through Anger – anger-management book for young children
- Share and Take Turns – Help children practise sharing, understand how and why to share, and realize the benefits of sharing.
- Respect and Take Care of Things – Encourage children to put things back where items belong, ask permission to use things that don’t belong to them, and respect the environment.
- Be Honest and Tell the Truth – Teach children that being honest in words and actions builds trust and self-confidence and that telling the truth can take courage and tact.
- Talk and Work It Out – Children learn peaceful conflict resolution: calm yourself, state the problem, listen, think of solutions, evaluate results, and agree to disagree when a solution isn’t possible.
- Understand and Care – Build empathy in children; guide them to show they care by listening to others and respecting their feelings.
- Reach Out and Give – Introduce children to gratitude and philanthropy, and show them how they can contribute to their community in simple, meaningful ways.
- Try and Stick with It – Introduce children to flexibility, stick-to-it-iveness (perseverance), and the benefits of trying something new.
- Join In and Play – Teach the basics of cooperation, getting along, making friends, and being a friend.
- Know and Follow Rules – Help kids understand the importance of rules and the positive sense of pride that comes with learning to follow them.
- Be Careful and Stay Safe – Teach children how to avoid potential dangers, ask for help, follow directions, use things carefully, and plan ahead.
- Listen and Learn – Help children develop listening skills, understand why it’s important to listen, and recognize the positive results of listening.
- Be Polite and Kind – Teach children simple good manners and gracious behaviour including “Please,” “Thank you,” and “I’m sorry.”